Posted on Dec 08, 2008 | Comments 0
None of us today have any time for taking care of our skin, although I am sure we all know the benefits and advantages of taking care of our skin earlier, so that we can reap the benefits later.
As we grow older, our skin gets more wrinkled and thinner (wrinkles), and as the oil producing glands lessen, our skin may become drier than when we were younger.
We have all heard of alcohol containing skin products, but are not sure what it means, and what benefits alcohol may have on our skin.
If you want to make sure your skin retain its youthful look for a long time, and want to know more about how alcohol can contribute, here are some tips for you:
- Remember, there are seven dense alcohols: cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, cetostearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol 40, C12-15 alcohols, stearyl alcohol and lanolin alcohol that do not dry out or irritate your skin. When you are buying a skincare product, and you notice any of these as part of the composition of the product, you can use it safely.
- Cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, cetostearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol 40 are all products derived from coconut oil and if you are allergic to coconut oil, please avoid using them.
- Low molecular weight alcohol is also used in skincare products, but the problem is that this has a tendency to evaporate rapidly from the skin, leading to the fear that it is drying the skin out instead of moisturizing it. Do not worry; however, it is safe for the skin.
- Alcohols are used in skincare products as emulsifiers, and as smootheners and as thickening agents. They also serve as moisturizers.
- Lanolin alcohol, an emollient that is derived from sheep, is also one of the main ingredients of skincare products, and if you are allergic to any sheep products, you must consult a dermatologist before using them.
- I know there are some people who swear by using alcohol directly on the face to clean the pores. However, skin experts advise that this may be a bad idea, because when alcohol is used directly, it may dry out the skin, leaving you with more problems that you started out with.
- Some skincare experts say that it is a great idea to use beer to condition your hair after you have washed it with shampoo, and you could try this out. It gives your hair a great shine!
No matter what you do, seek the advice of experts before you do it. Be patient; you will not see results overnight. Remember, alcohol is indeed good for your skin, if it is used in the proper way.
Posted in: SKIN CARE